2016 Fender Custom Shop Limited 1967 Closet Classic Smugglers Telecaster
As in virtually new condition complete with its case and all the candy, certificates etc. Incredibly light guitar weighing in at just 6 lbs !!
The Fender Custom Shop Limited 1967 Closet Classic Smugglers Telecaster Vintage Blonde has an Ash Body, Mid 60s Oval C Maple Neck, Maple Fretboard, Hand-Wound 67 Single-Coil Pickups, Vintage Style Tele Bridge, Incl. Case & COA
The “Smuggler’s Tele” Reborn
The post-CBS era of Fender threw up some rather weird and wonderful ideas. Most were considered a bit of a failure, but there was some good to come of Fender’s most infamous period. Only a few years into their reign, CBS decided that the already legendary Telecaster needed to shed a pound or two. Most would assume 1968’s Thinline Telecaster was their first attempt at this, but they’d tried an alternative method only a year previous.
In 1967 Fender announced what was later dubbed the “Smuggler’s Tele”, which in all sense and purposes looked like every other Telecaster. All was revealed upon the removal of the pickguard, which uncovered three large cavities in the body. This acted as more of a storage area or “smuggler’s cavity”, for guitarists to hide their conquers or marbles from their band mates…
One of these extremely rare Tele’s would have set you back a whopping $214.50 in ’67, plus a 5% up charge for the maple fretboard alternative. Quite a pricey stash box when you think about it, but they’ve been seen to fetch up $8,000-$10,000 nowadays – so the Custom Shop alternative is something to seriously consider.
As part of Fender Custom Shop’s 2016 Limited run, the “Smuggler’s Tele” was given a fresh lease of life. The guitar comes with both a standard white pickguard, and a see-through plastic guard to showcase the notorious cavities. Period correct features such as the F-stamped Schaller-style tuners and nitrocellulose lacquer all contribute to this fantastic reissue. The timeless Vintage Blonde finish is complemented by Closet Classic ageing, which gives off the vibe of a vintage instrument – without looking too beaten up.
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body: Ash
- Neck: 1-Piece Maple
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt “Limited Edition” Engraved
- Neck Profile: Mid ’60s Oval “C”
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Inlays: Black Dot
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5″ (241 mm)
- Nut Width: 1.650″ (42 mm), Bone
- Scale Length: 25.5″ (648 mm)
- Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo 6105
- Pickguard: Clear (Replacement White Pickguard in Case)
- Tuners: Vintage-Style
- Bridge: 3-Saddle Vintage-Style Strings-Through-Body Tele with Threaded Saddles
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickups: Custom Shop Hand-Wound ’67 Single-Coil Tele
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Please contact the shop for all details